Thursday, March 15, 2007

Stuff

After reading my wifes blog I thought I would contribute to her Thankful Thursdays. I have to tell you I am truly thankful for this old dresser that sits in our bed room.
My wife has had this thing for I don't know how long, and it was her parents before that. It is showing it's age. It is missing handles, the drawers don't quite slide in right, and if your not careful when you move it you will end up with the top of the dresser in your hands and the rest still sitting on the ground. (I believe it was due to some sort of moving accident on the highway:0) Not to mention hazard of getting caught on a stray screw abandoned by its fellow nob. Don't get me wrong it still works wonderfully for what it was made to do, but it has seen better days.
And yet I love this thing. Some day it will most likely get replaced by a newer nicer dresser, or maybe not. But one of the things I love about this thing is that it reminds me of my needs. I am blessed with so much more than I could have ever imagined. I have an incredible family, beautiful wife, amazing son, live in a breathtaking place, have wonderful friends, work with an awesome church, and have a relationship with the creator of the universe. I think these are the things that matter. And for these things I am truly grateful. I can honestly say that I don't want to live my life for some wood held together by some screws, or some metal red paint and rubber tires, or tv that won't fit on my wall, or even the home to put it in. I'm not saying I don't like these things, I do, and I'm not saying they are wrong either, but I have to make sure they are not the focus of my life.

...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13

I want my life to be characterized not by the things I have or what I have done, but rather why I've done it, and what it's been used for.

“Jesus, please teach me to appreciate what I have before time forces me to appreciate what I had.” Susan L. Lenzkes


Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonian 5:16-18


2 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Okay...since at least one guy has joined TT's, I suppose I can buck up and join. I saw Julie's invite to me yesterday and was contemplating being the only person of male persuasion in the group. I'll go ahead and join.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Julie Luse said...

Thanks Peter for joining, and spreading in thankfulness. Thank you Josh for being the most awesome, perfect husband for me. Love you more each day (and growing more thankful for you each day)
Julie :)

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home